We compared the best sites to find the top online rated HR software and solutions for you in 2021. This is our list:
Technology is a part of every department in business, it’s been a trend for decades. Increasing efficiency and automating all parts of a company is essential to keep up to date with our online world. The benefits of having tools to manage all HR functions are as plenty as you want them to be. From automating your recruitment process and tracking applicants to synchronizing schedules, organization planning, or performance management.
But there’s a huge number of options out there, and each one has its own features. Which will be best for you? We bring you a list comparing what the best software testing and comparison sites have to say about these software solutions. We gathered all under 5 different categories:
- Small & Midsize Businesses
- Big Businesses and Corporations
- Payroll specific
- Recruitment specific
- Specialized HR solutions (IT, remote workforce, shifts…)
But first, what is HR Management Software?
Basically, they’re digital platforms that aim to help the HR department manage their key processes and tasks behind staff management. Contrary to what many employees believe, there’s always a lot to do behind the doors of an HR department. Many of these tasks are quite repetitive, and traditionally they were paper-based. This type of software supports HR teams to reduce time and human work to increase efficiency and enhance HR analytics.
Best HR Solutions for Small & Midsize Businesses (SMBs)
1. Bamboo HR: Simple to use, hard-coded payroll reports
Bamboo HR is an easy-to-use human resource management software primarily for midsize businesses. It’s an all-in-one solution that offers an intuitive modern interface and has won several awards and the online recognition of most software comparing and business consulting websites.
- Multiplatform – Simple to use mobile app
- Time tracking & workflow management
- Specific Mobile Hiring App & Applicant Tracking System
- E-signatures to replace paper-based systems
- Automated onboarding process tools
Bamboo HR has two plans, called Essentials and Advantage, but they do not publish pricing, and instead they ask you to fill out a form to get a price quote.
2. Zenefits: Good value for money, sloppy customer support
Zenefits provides a cloud-based HR overall solution geared towards essential midsize business necessities: Time Scheduling, HR, Benefits, and Payroll. They offer 3 alternative pricing options to fit your needs: Essentials, Growth, and Zen; depending on the tools you might need. Growth is the most popular one – for many considering their services, Essentials falls short while Zen is too expensive.
- Mobile app
- Integrated Benefits and payroll options
- Built-in Compliance
- Performance management system
- Integrations and add-ons (Gsuite, Slack, 401(k) providers…)
Annual pay fees (per employee): Essentials – $8/month ; Growth – $14/month; Zen – $21/month
Monthly pay fees (per employee): Essentials – $10/month ; Growth – $18/month; Zen – $27/month
3. Namely: Great HRIS, not suited for big companies
Namely is an HR management software suitable for HR professionals as well as managers not familiar with HR functions. It’s geared towards midsize businesses (from 50 to 1000 employees) and provides a broad range of features to cover human resource administration. This includes recruitment, onboarding, performance management, time and attendance, and compensation.
- Talent management
- HR Compliance Database
- Direct Payroll and Benefits Administration
- Employee engagement analytics
- Onboarding adaptation
No public pricing, request a free demo and get started to receive a quote.
4. Kronos Workforce Ready: Good integrations and customer support, difficult to navigate
Kronos is an online HR software solutions developer that offers different services on both Workforce Management and Human Capital Management (HCM). You can find their wide range of products in three different product suites: Workforce Dimensions, Workforce Central, and Workforce Ready; as well as having other specialized products. Kronos Workforce Ready, an all-in-one integrated cloud-based solution has been praised across websites.
- Special solutions for small to midsize businesses
- Compensations and benefits management
- Scheduling, performance management, and people analytics
- Talent acquisition and onboarding solutions
No public available price. Contact sales to get a quote for you
5. Bernie Portal: Basic and affordable HR solution for smaller businesses
BerniePortal is an HRIS solution with the best basic core features you need for a small to midsize company. It offers information on HR functions throughout an employee’s lifecycle, from recruitment, applicant tracking, and onboarding, to benefits administration or performance management. It’s easy to set up and simple to use, but it can fall short for bigger companies when managing a larger workforce.
- Talent recruitment and retention, applicant tracking, and onboarding.
- Custom benefit enrollment and payroll reporting
- Employee engagement and promoting development with performance management.
- PTO tracking with customizable policies and time and attendance management
- Compliance and tax reporting forms for employees
Bernie Portal offers a free plan and 3 paid plans with different implementations you can compare here. The prices (per user, per month) for the paid plans are: Standard – $11 (paid monthly)/ $9 (paid annually); Plus – $16 (paid monthly)/ $14 (paid annually); Enterprise – $21 (paid monthly)/ 19$ (paid annually).
6. Cezanne HR: Good customizable modules, slow servers
Cezanne HR is an online-based human resource management solution that works best for midsize businesses (100-3000 employees), though it can handle up to 5000 users. It offers a highly configurable suite and modules that make it especially attractive for companies operating with an international workforce. Their core People module includes personnel files, recordkeeping, HR portals, notifications and reports.
- HR management basic functionality for smaller businesses
- Highly configurable user interface
- Global coordination capabilities, international HRMS
- E-signatures, advanced online document management, and reporting
- Integrated benefits and payroll
Right now there’s no publicly available pricing on their website, though you can book a demo to contact if you’re interested.
Information on other websites indicates the software’s pricing begins at $200 monthly minimum, plus $2/ per employee for the core People module.
7. Built for Teams: Clever org chart functionality, doesn’t cover all HR functionalities
Built for Teams is a web-based HR management platform that is specifically suited for small to midsize companies. It’s an uncomplicated tool to maintain an online record of company personnel in an interactive organizational chart that is automatically up-to-date. It doesn’t offer complex features and won’t solve all your HR functions, but it helps with applicant tracking, workforce planning, and PTO and absence management.
- Easy to use, simple, and accessible platform to automate manual processes
- Organizational charts for resource planning
- Applicant tracking for hiring needs
- Absence and leave management with flexible customizable policies
There are no available pricing options directly on their website, you’ll have to schedule a demo there for them to show you around to get started.
8. People HR: Friendly UI, lacks some functionality
People is an HR management solution for small to midsize businesses, with a user-friendly interactive interface. It’s a core HR administration platform that specializes in delivering graphic reports for employees to engage the workforce and streamline processes. It’s easy to use, allowing HR professionals to play a more decisive role in their company.
- Automated HRIS core tasks (centralized information system, time and attendance…)
- Integratable payroll add-ins (Sage payroll, ADP, Ceridian)
- Applicant tracking system
- Performance management and employee analytics
- HR reporting and guidance on decision making
People HR offers 3 different monthly pricing options depending on the number of features your company needs. These are (per employee, per month): Professional – $7; Enterprise – $9; Elite – $11.
9. Dayforce HCM: Flexibility and functionality on one app, not user-friendly UI
Dayforce HCM Software is a Ceridian-owned platform that looks after the requirements of workforce management, payroll and tax, analytics, benefits, document management, and talent management. It works through a web app or mobile app where you can have access to all Human Capital Management-related features. Best for midsize businesses.
- Integrated HR system with all HCM fields (payroll, time and attendance, workforce…)
- One source of truth with all integrated features (one record per employee for all)
- A multi-currency and multi-lingual platform for multinational based companies
- Adapted mobile and tablet apps with the same UI
- Scalable platform that serves as an organization on every hierarchical level
There’s no available pricing on their website. To get started, watch a demo and contact ceridian on their website.
10. Flock: The best of the basic HR features, needs third-party integrations
Flock is a cloud-based HR management solution specialized in its recruitment and onboarding process. This HR system lets businesses streamline the entire onboarding lifecycle: from scheduling interviews to performing background checks. The Platform also offers the basic HR management tools in a convenient easy-to-use platform: HRIS, Benefits Administration, Payroll Sync, Compliance, and Reports.
- Onboarding: offer letters, e-signature, background checks
- Employee profile and community building for better employee engagement
- Goal setting for employees and managers
- Benefits administration connected with insurance carriers, and compliance
- Syncing employee payroll data with other integrated systems
Flock has a flexible price system depending on what modules you want to add to the HRIS basic plan so that it fits your specific needs. To get a specific price, get in touch.
Best HR Software for Big Businesses and Corporations
1. SAP Success Factors: Complete suite, yet complex to use
SAP SuccessFactors is a business software that offers a wide range of products regarding different management functions and solutions. Its HXM (“Human Experience Management”) Suite is SAP’s approach to traditional Human Capital Management to create better employee engagement. There are 4 categories: Employee Experience Management, Core HR and Payroll, Talent Management, and HR Analytics and Workforce Management.
- Extensive performance management solutions
- Workforce planning and HR analytics
- Performance and compensation integration
- Recruiting and Onboarding modules
- Management alignment of objectives and budgeting
No publicly available pricing, contact them to get a quote.
2. Workday HCM: Good HRIS tools, not user-friendly
Workday HR is a complex cloud-based human resource management software specially designed for larger companies and global businesses. The software was founded by experienced professionals who worked at PeopleSoft, and provides a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) enterprise-class solution. This also means it’s not for small businesses.
- Various HR management systems: Global Payroll tools, Recruiting tools…
- Big scale strategic workforce planning and synchronization
- Succession planning, Career development, Project management tools
- Workforce analytics and cost analysis plus big data analytics integration
- Financial and expense management tools
Get in touch with the sales department in order to get a price quote
3. ADP: Well-rounded product, slow customer service
ADP Workforce offers HR solutions for small businesses and start-ups as well as big businesses with 1000+ employees. They’ve made available features in HR including compensation (payroll, benefits, insurance), or talent management. Some of the basic tools you need for implementing efficient administration and management and ensuring the best practices.
- Benefits management and insurance administration
- Time and attendance tracking, time-off management integrated into payroll
- Outsourcing options for HR solutions and HR consulting services
- Applicant tracking and onboarding
- Employee database management and analytics
See what you need and get in touch to know your price.
4. Oracle Cloud HCM: AI incorporation to an already complex software.
Oracle Cloud HCM, as you may have guessed, is a cloud-based Human Capital Management software. It’s meant to function as one source of truth for all HR data, especially for larger businesses with a global workforce. It’s built with an AI to help users make better strategic decisions regarding the company and its transformation, like new employee roles. There are several modules that are grouped into four categories: Human Resources, Talent Management, Workforce Management, and Payroll.
- Talent management to find best-suited candidates
- Career development inside the community of the company
- Effective HCM tools and analytics solution with KPI creation
- Strategic workforce planning and workforce management tools (time and attendance)
- Integrated global payroll systems
Pricing for Oracle Cloud HCM is no longer available, you’ll have to contact the vendor or sales department via their website to get a quote. You can also request a demo or “take a tour” through their suite.
5. Sage Business Cloud People: Configurability for multinational companies, slow implementation
Sage Business Cloud People is an HR platform designed for the needs of medium-sized businesses. It takes some time to fully implement in order to get all analytics, core HR functions, payroll, and reporting up and running. However, the level of functionality of its cloud-based suite is worth the wait, especially at companies with an international presence. They position themselves with other platforms like Kronos Workforce Ready or SAP SuccessFactors.
- Global cloud HRIS for multinational companies
- People analytics and reporting tools to follow employee data
- Performance and talent management, plus employee engagement
- Attendance and leave management integrated with payroll and benefits administration
- End-to-end talent acquisition software
There’s no available pricing set on their website. You can learn more about Sage People and book a demo to start exploring it as your option for your HR needs.
6: Zoho People & People Plus: Affordable, improvable features like time and attendance
Zoho People Plus is an integrated all-around HR management solution that includes different Zoho HR products: Zoho Recruit & Zoho Expense. Zoho Analytics and Zoho Projects can also be integrated into the solution for a complete suite experience to fit the needs of your organization. It also integrates with apps like Zapier, adobe sign, or greytHR, among others. Zoho is an easy-to-use and flexible software that will be useful for all business sizes. However, it may lack some technical features and its time and attendance functionality may seem basic for some big companies.
- Recruiting, onboarding, and applicant tracking software
- Workforce planning and analytics
- Performance management with direct communication and feedback
- Compensation and performance integration
- 5 affordable pricing plans according to the company’s needs
Zoho offers an annual billing price for its complete HR suite: People Plus – 9€/month/employee
You can also check out Zoho People, with 4 different pricing plans to best fit your HR needs. Annual billing fees (per employee):
- Essential HR – 15€
- Professional – 24€
- Premium – 36€
- Enterprise – 54€
They also offer a limited free trial to get you started.
Best Payroll Specific HR Solutions
1. Gusto: Best payroll for small business, support needs improvement
It was initially designed to help managers with payroll solutions. Gusto is a particularly good fit for small business owners to automate administrative HR functions. It excels in managing tasks like payroll processes or employee health and retirement benefits. Pricing options include bigger businesses, though the price might not make it worth it.
- Easy-to-use, intuitive payroll administration that can be automated
- Integration of employee time and attendance
- HR consulting services with certified experts for small businesses
- Optimizing insurance benefits administration
- Add-ons and tools free to use for any employee (Gusto Wallet)
4 different pricing options (fees per month): Core – $6/person + $39/base; Complete – $12/person + $39/base; Concierge – $12/person + $149/base; Contractor – $6/person + $0/base
2. APS Payroll: Top Payroll tool, good support team, less features
An “All-in-one Payroll & HR platform” is how APS’s website defines itself. APS offers unified solutions to different topics: payroll, attendance management, recruiting, etc.; being specialized in midsized businesses (100-1000 employees). They offer guidance and support in your journey to start using and “growing” with APS.
- Robust Automated Payroll System (APS)
- Affordable Care Act (ACA) reporting
- Performance management analytics
- Time and attendance management
- Direct access to HR and payroll information from employees
Request a quote on their website to get the price for your company.
3. Paylocity: Easy, automated payroll, not great integration of all features
Paylocity is a web-based HR and payroll service provider. Although it’s specialized towards payroll, it’s intended to serve as HR software for small businesses. The service has a built-in app to process payroll, QuickPay. It also integrates different HR features like compliance management tools, reporting, employee monitoring, or managing schedules.
- HRIS and workforce basic management
- Automated employee expense reports
- Payroll services and automated employee benefits and tax administration
- Analytics and reporting tools to get metrics on the workforce
- HCM solutions mobile app
Request a demo or contact their sales team on their website to get a quote for their service.
4. Paycor: HR+Payroll excel over the rest of the features, customer service could improve
Paycor is an HCM software solution that specializes in payroll administration. It’s optimized for small and midsize businesses (1-1000 employees). Paycor offers 5 modules on their HCM system: HR + Payroll software, Talent Management, Workforce Management, Employee experience, and Benefits Administration.
- HRIS + Payroll, tax filing, and analytics
- Recruitment, Onboarding, and Talent development
- Benefits administration and ACA Reporting Software
- Time + Attendance administration, and scheduling shifts
- Employee engagement, surveys, and career management
Paycor offers different pricing options depending on your company size: Small Business (1-39 employees) or Mid Market (40-1000+ employees).
Small Business: Basic – starting at $99/month; Essential – starting at $149/month; Complete – starting at $199/month
Mid Market: Price depends on the services you select specifically.
Best Recruitment Software and Hiring Platforms
1. Workable: Highly specialized hiring software, efficiency at a high price
Workable is an all-in-one hiring cloud-based software. The platform offers a robust applicant tracking and recruiting customizable solution specially designed for small and medium businesses. Its advanced set of features allows you to easily review and track a candidate’s profile and process the candidates under a job requisition through a central location.
- Mobile app and application forms for candidates
- Offer letters with e-signature and approval workflows
- Job description templates and hiring team role administration
- AI candidate recommendation and huge candidate profile pools
- Native one-way video interviews
Workable offers a free trial, letting you post a job for free. The pricing options start at $99 per job per month, called Paygo (self-serve solution for occasional hiring).
From there, they offer 3 more pricing options depending on your hiring needs: Core, Growth, and Premier. To get a price on any of those you have to contact them directly and get a demo.
2. Bullhorn: Great recruitment and onboarding on a clunky software
Bullhorn is a neat applicant tracking system offering several features for employee recruitment and staffing. Despite specializing in HR and recruitment, it also gives its users additional features for CRM (including sales and account management), expense management and invoicing, as well as reporting analytics and an HRIS solution.
- Applicant tracking and recruitment agency with mobile recruitment
- CRM Software with email and LinkedIn integrations
- Candidate search with resume parsing and job board data capture
- Time and expense software for staffing firms
- Business analytics suite
Bullhorn offers 4 different pricing options: Team, Corporate, Enterprise, and Enterprise Plus. Pricing is determined based on the number of people that want access to the system – including recruiters, salespeople, and managers. Request a pricing quote on their website for more concrete information.
Specialized HR Solutions
1. Sage HR (Former Cake HR): Engagement for remote workforce, especially SMBs
Sage HR is a well-rounded complete HR management product. It is a human resource and people management solution especially geared towards companies with a remote workforce. Although it’s meant to be used by HR professionals, the software has a user-friendly design that makes it ideal for small to medium-sized business managers.
- Web-based service accessible from any device
- Expense management
- Timesheets, scheduling, and leave management
- Automated reporting and analytics
- Performance management, aligning goals
Prices are set according to the number of employees in the company and the features you want to include in your plan. The basic price is $5’5/per employee for Core HR + Leave Management. Check out the best pricing option for you on their website.
2. Rippling: User-friendly IT management integrated to HR, has payroll implementation issues
Rippling is a modern HR management software that incorporates IT management all in the same platform. It aims to bring together these different but complementary departments inside a company to make it easier and faster to process employee information – it’s all automated. HR services include Payroll, Benefits, or Time attendance; while IT includes device and app management. It may fall short on some specific HR tools that other competitors do offer.
- All-in-one automated platform to manage IT and HR
- Synchronized schedules system on employee directory
- Team task management tool
- Employee self-service portal for benefits administration (insurance)
- Recruitment management self-service portal
3. Deputy: Great time management tool, not full HR solution
Deputy is a dedicated software for managing shift scheduling with your workforce. It specializes in scheduling and timesheets made simple and easy to control on any device. It’s a bonus integration for many of the leading Payroll and HR systems (like ADP, Gusto, or BambooHR), and offers analytics to track staff and improve productivity and employee engagement.
- Schedule and swap shifts with other employees easily, reduce administrative labor
- Time and attendance management that can be integrated with payroll services
- Easy streamline communication and better team engagement
Deputy offers 3 different pricing options with different solutions depending on your company’s needs: Scheduling – $2’5/per user per month; Time and attendance – $2’5/per user per month; Premium – $4’5/per user per month ($4 if paid annually).
For companies with over 250 employees (Enterprise), they offer every feature of the Premium option plus some dedicated features. For this option, you’ll have to contact them for custom pricing.